What is the difference between grace and blessing? How can you get grace or earn a blessing? To answer these questions, please continue reading.
What is grace?
Grace is a gift from God that is given to you even if you did not work for it nor deserve it. In other words, grace is a free and unmerited favor from God.
“For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” – Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV
How do you earn God’s grace?
You do not actually earn grace because you do not obtain it in exchange for labor or work. God has simply given it to you out of His love and mercy.
In fact, according to the Scriptures, grace was already given to us even before the beginning of time.
“He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,” – 2 Timothy 1:9 NIV
Grace was also given and allocated to each of us.
“But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.” – Ephesians 4:7 KJV
How to receive God’s grace?
You do not earn grace but you have to receive it. To receive it, you must be humble and simply accept it with humility.
“Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.” – 1 Peter 5:5 KJV
After receiving God’s grace, you must also keep and preserve it.
“Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.” – Galatians 5:4 KJV
What is a blessing?
A blessing is something you get when you practice righteousness. In other words, unlike grace, a blessing is a merited favor from God.
“The Lord’s curse is on the house of the wicked, but he blesses the home of the righteous..” – Proverbs 3:33 NIV
How to earn a blessing?
God gives His blessings to you when you avoid sins and wickedness. In other words, to get a blessing, you have to work for it, earn it, and be worthy of it.
“Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.” – Psalm 1:1 KJV
The differences between grace and blessing
Here are some points to understand the difference between grace and blessing:
1. Grace is a free and unmerited gift from God, while a blessing is a merited reward from God.
2. You can get grace even if you’re not worthy of it, but you can only get a blessing if you deserve it.
3. To get grace, you just have to humbly accept it. On the other hand, to get a blessing you have to earn it.
4. Grace is obtained through humility, while a blessing is earned through righteousness.
5. You can get grace even if you are a wicked or a sinner. On the other hand, you cannot get a blessing if you are a wicked or a sinner.
6. God’s grace is allocated to each of us and you have to either take it or leave it. On the other hand, God’s blessing is not allocated to each us but it is measured and given according to your work.
7. God’s grace has already been existing even before the beginning of time. On the other hand, your blessing will still be determined based on your free will – whether you will choose righteousness or wickedness.
8. God’s grace is a product of His love and mercy, while God’s blessing is a product of His justice.
9. A simple example of grace is the good health you inherited from your parents. On the other hand, a simple example of blessing is the good health you earned for eating the right or healthy foods and keeping yourself away from vices, such as gluttony, smoking, adultery, and drunkenness.
10. A great example of God’s grace is the gift of salvation that was given to you when Christ sacrificed His life and died for your sins – and you receive this when you believe and accept Christ as your savior. On the other hand, a great example of God’s blessing is the salvation of your soul that you will earn on the Day of the Judgment for obeying God’s commandments, keeping your faith in Christ, and preserving the Spirit in you who sealed your grace of salvation.
I hope you have been enlightened on the difference between a grace and a blessing. May you have both of them and keep them for life and for eternity.